Saturday, September 13, 2014

6 truths about breastfeeding that people forget to tell new mothers!


Breastfeeding is a beautiful, natural experience that builds an unexplainable bond between mother and child.  Breastfeeding is the best way for a mother to feed her child, if she is able.  With that being said there are some things that us breastfeeding veterans neglect to tell new mothers while we are giving them all of the flowery rhetoric about how magically and wonderful breastfeeding is.  Believe it or not, despite all of the benefits and joys that come along with breastfeeding there are also some aspects that are not so great, if you are not prepared for them.  I like to give people the whole story because I believe that the benefits of breastfeeding far outweigh the sacrifices, and if women know what to expect ahead of time they won’t be scared, stressed or disgusted when faced with an obstacle!

11.     For the first month or two your baby will want to eat ALL the time!!!

Once your milk comes in good (2-3 days after delivery in my experience) expect to be an on call feeding machine for your newborn.  The doctors will tell you to feed every 3 hours, and in a perfect world having a “schedule” would be such a blessing.  But you baby’s body knows what it needs and sometimes it is every hour and a half to two hours, and some nights it will seem like the feedings never stop!!!  So be prepared, keep water on hand to fight dehydration and sleep when you can because you may have an adorable appendage hanging from your boobs for 6-8 weeks.

22.     Your breasts will be sore!

People will tell you that breastfeeding doesn’t hurt...and if you are doing it properly it won’t hurt.  But that is like saying that working out doesn’t hurt, and it doesn’t, but it will leave you sore!!!  So don’t be alarmed if you notice that your nipples and/or breasts are tender, tenderness is to be expected.  Try using a nipple cream like or even coconut oil, which I personally prefer.  But if your breasts become red, hot, or you experience sharp shooting pains call your doctor ASAP because you may have an infection.

33.     You will smell like milk.

Shower as much as you like but as long as you are breastfeeding, especially during the first few months you will smell like milk.  Don’t worry; as long as you change your breast pads often the only people who will be able to smell it are you and your baby.  With my first baby I was so concerned that everyone around me could smell my milk, but my mother assured me that she had know idea what I was talking about and that I could smell it because it was right under my nose!

44.     That tingle is normal!

When it’s time to nurse I always say that my “Spidey senses are tingling” because there is an unmistakable tingle that you get when it is time to feed your baby.  This tingle doesn’t hurt but you may find yourself unconsciously reaching up to grab your breasts when they begin to tingle!

55.     Full breasts are very uncomfortable!

A breast pump is a great investment if you plan to breastfeed and you won’t be able to feed directly from the breast all of the time because full breasts are NOT fun.  Full breasts feel like you are carrying ultra-sensitive concrete bricks on the front of your body, and the slightest touch or breeze send you a friendly reminder that you need to feed your child ASAP.  Full breasts can also cause engorgement, which is a clogged milk duct, needless to say a painful experience.  I was on vacation and became so full one time that I hand pumped my milk just to relieve the pressure!

66.     Breastfeeding will leave you starving and exhausted!

During a breastfeeding session you may find it hard to keep your eyes open or to keep your stomach from growling...or both!  Breastfeeding burns calories, which can make you both tired and hungry (thirsty too!).  Experts say that you should consume 600 extra calories a day while breastfeeding to compensate for what you will lose.  It is always good to keep some snacks handy while breastfeeding, I keep animal crackers and applesauce on my nightstand for a quick pick me up while nursing.

Even with these “inconveniences” of breastfeeding I chose to breastfeed all 6 of my children, (currently breastfeeding the baby as I type this) and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.  So even though breastfeeding isn’t all rose pedals and sunshine I feel that if you go into it knowing what to expect it will be one of the most fulfilling experiences of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment