Monday, February 16, 2015

happy2Bnappy...New poem "Secret Life of Curls"



Last year a friend of mine who is a mompreneur as well as natural hair blogger and enthusiast, LaTashia Carter-Perry had an event called "Curls Night Out" where she brought together natural hair care vendors, natural hair care professionals and lovers of natural hair for a celebration of all of the elements that make our natural kinks and curls so magical and amazing! LaTashia asked me to do some poetry for this event and I was honored and delighted. I was so excited about this event that I was inspired to write a new poem. In the weeks leading up to this event I found out that I was preggo with baby number 6 and life went from zero to 100...real quick! Needless to say I didn't memorize the poem and actually lost the notebook that it was written in! I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason so I just did another appropriate poem, but i was still bummed about losing my new poem and my new notebook.  Last week I wrote a blog dealing with my daughter's natural hair journey and as fate would have it I found the notebook with the lost poem in it...AINT GOD GOOD!




You can follow LaTashia on FB at:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Secret-Life-of-Curls//

and

http://mamagonethrifting.blogspot.com





So as a dedication to natural hair, black history month, and my homegirl who helped inspire this poem you have "The Secret Life of Curls"





We sew in our existence

18-20 inches

27 pieces of black girl puzzle

muzzled mane

pain in our beauty

untamed and unruly

you can't gel down the edges of the earth

can't change birth rites

there is beauty in this crown

brown mound of Mojo

the makers magic

creation lives in these curls

I woke up like this

Luscious

no you can't touch it

it's as if heaven erupted from my head

they hate it cuz they can't tame it, can't conquer it or claim it

no mater how you try and train it these roots still grow nappy

just like my mammy and my granny

I've got good genes

and as a girl my father told me my hair is good because it is growing out of my head

Just the way God intended

splendid spirals

an eyeful of ebony essence

an unintentional rebel

the revolutionary act of being a black girl

this hair has carried the fears and burdens of the world

while they marvel at it in private, this is the secret life of curls


Copyright 2014 Amber Hasan



4 comments: